SpartanDEV: 17JAN22 - 23JAN22
Read up on the events of the week with the new docs making major progress, raised caps for the $AVA pool, a massive physical NFT drum giveaway, and much more.
It's weeks like these that community and BUIDL really show through when it's a core principle. It has been heartwarming to see the community band together and check in on each other during a rough week like true warriors.
Don't forget that sometimes turning off your screens and getting into the green wilderness is just as good as any trading scenario. Also, don't forget Spartans didn't band together to build the protocol for a short term gain, low time preference/dependence is another core principle not only within the community but in life in general for believers of the more open and decentralised world we are all working to build for our future generations.
Some highlights for the week:
- Raised caps for the $AVA pool!
- Top token contract activity (SPARTA token utility)
- #FridayFor300 Quizzes (Security features)
- Physical NFT drum giveaway
- On the CoinMarketLeague leaderboard again
- Community education reminder
Onwards. Aroo, Aroo, Aroo!!!!
Raised Caps for $AVA:$SPARTA
The pool for Travala's token ($AVA) reached its liquidity caps during the week showing demand for some more room for liquidity providers in that pool. The pools were assessed following the community signalling support for #OpenTheGates on Twitter. Whilst the community were asking for the gates to be opened before the caps were even reached, by the time the pool was assessed it was much closer to its cap and therefore raised by 150K $SPARTA.
WhaleStats - A Reminder About $SPARTA Utility
There was some increased $SPARTA token activity within 'whale' wallets (top 1,000 non-contract wallets on BSC) this week. It is surprising (as a first reaction) to see $SPARTA flipping $CAKE for a while there as the #1 token activity on BSC despite the $SPARTA token being involved in less 'high velocity' products like prediction markets/gambling.
But then you stop to think and remember, this is due to the $SPARTA token being paired inside every Spartan pool (common settlement asset) which means it is being used as the rail to swap every token through the pools, whereas the typical AMMs & forks of UniSwap only really use their native token in other side-products (not their pools by default) or most commonly in forms of 'staking' where the tokens don't actually get used for any utility, they just get locked in a contract and don't get used (hence token activity is low, which is kind of the intended result of getting people to stake 🙃)
Remember Spartans, the $SPARTA token isn't a side-thought or cash-grab, its sole purpose is to provide utility for every person swapping in the pools. Without SPARTA, we don't have the core part of the protocol (the AMM / pools). This is powerful. Everything else that gets built around that involving $SPARTA is just bonus gravy on top of that sole, very important reason for its existence.
#FridayFor300 Quiz Results
Congratulations to the Spartan winners drawn for the quiz:
Name a security feature used by Spartan Protocol?
There are a lot of answers to this question, especially with the V2 launch. Some good answers included:
- The 'Global Freeze' feature - if there is a large change in a pool's internally derived price of an asset (current price of an asset is far from its time-weighted-average 'TWAP') the value-extraction features of the protocol are locked down until either the imbalance is fixed or TWAP has time to catch up to the current market price. This makes utilizing a flash-loan combined with an attack much riskier for the bad peer (they are pushed to put real assets on the line for a period of time instead of in-out within the same block) Read up more on this feature here.
- The C4 contest (Code 4rena) - the community raised funds for a whitehat bounty contest to have the Spartan Protocol contracts audited during the V2 build process.
- Liquidity caps - there are caps in place to prevent a large sudden increase in liquidity locked up in the pools. This allows for a pool's increase to be more natural and makes it hard for an attacker to use a flash loan to increase any proposed attack, also increasing their risk/difficulty in the process.
- Synth caps - similar to the liquidity caps, the automated Synth caps ensure increased distribution of the token (not only good for security; also in general 'fair' nature) and ensure no-one can forge a large percentage of Synths during some kind of an elaborate attack. These caps serve many more purposes than just security though!
- Many more! If you have one you want more information on, please reach out in the community for a discussion on whatever topic or feature you have in mind!
New #FridayFor300 Quiz
The new quiz then kicked off with a new topic involving DAO proposals:
What does the DAO proposal
This quiz is currently open and will remain open until ~Thursday so feel free to jump on & answer the question to be in the running for a SPARTA prize!
Physical NFT Drum Giveaway
Our in-house chair-hater @ReidyPhillip (aka Thespis) & community rallying powerhouse has gone ahead and had a unique handmade drum made to give away to a lucky Spartan community member! Follow the Gleam.io link in the tweet to get involved.
Some creativity & fun is recommended here in answering the tasks/questions, this drum is a massive prize and a huge symbol of Spartan pride & devotion. Show your alignment with Spartan Protocol by telling us what you love about it!
Spartan Protocol made the charts again this week on CML, and as you can see the SPARTA icon and project name have been updated which looks much better!
Only takes a handful of people voting each week to be in the running for this sort of thing, if you want to help, try to make a weekly vote a part of your routine:
Every week we see our warriors out there educating and fighting the good fight. Important to remember the foundations of the project and help educate others as we go. Our community lives and breathes to help new Spartans find their path!
Our community collates the public Spartan Protocol data into a PDF report each month covering Google Search (impressions, clicks, devices, keywords & geographical) & Twitter analytics. You can find the full December report here.
GitHub Activity - Spartan <> Bram NFTs
Completed, all that remains is distribution! Please be patient and allow the contributors time to work out how these NFTs will be distributed. In the meantime please check out Bram on Twitter and show your support!
- Plan & distribute the NFTs
GitHub Activity - Spartan UI Library
This component library has taken a bit of a back seat for now with a focus on cleaning up the existing DApp repo instead of rushing this one. Contributors can come back to this & work towards the initial plan of making it a whole component UI library (for all community DApps, not just the current one) instead of the in-between phase that it was becoming (the partial work will shift from here to a branch on the DApp repo soon for the DApp-refresh phase to continue)
Hence the below to-do list is now pointing towards what was previously meant to be the 'next stage':
GitHub Activity - Spartan Docs
Made some major progress with the new Docs repo this week. It is starting to really take shape! This week saw it expand from really just being a bit of a placeholder of general ideas about its structure, to having every section created and padded out with some info. Even some of the guides have come across.
You can visually track the progress as merge into the main branch so far here
Need help with every section ranging from grammar/spelling to copy-content creation, to graphics, to structure, to video versions of the text guides (these would be great under each relevant section), to text guides and so on:
GitHub Activity - Spartan DApp
Nothing merged into the main branch this week. Primary focus appears to be on the website/landing page & documentation at the moment. We are also waiting on the new Subgraph to sync up (from almost 2 weeks ago) before we can do some optional changes.
GitHub Activity - Spartan Subgraph
Nothing merged to main branch, still waiting on the newest Subgraph to complete its sync (from almost 2 weeks ago)
GitHub Activity - Spartan Resources
No activity in this repo for the week.
GitHub Activity - Spartan Site
Nothing merged into the pending 'new-one-pager' branch this week for the new Spartan Protocol landing page / website.
GitHub Activity - Spartan Arena Contracts
No public Github activity on the NFT/Gaming contracts this week.
GitHub Activity - Spartan API
Quite a lot of changes to the API repo again this week, with the following changes:
- Updated most numbered endpoints to be a simple number type instead of a string (units are already converted, so the rounding accuracy loss from using a number instead of a string is minimal)
- V1 docs were updated
- Added error handling and checks throughout all endpioints
- Added a check & sort all RPCs check to reduce the chance of a broken RPC causing an endpoint to fail
GitHub Activity - Spartan Contracts
No public Github activity on the DeFi contracts this week.
- Website: https://spartanprotocol.org/
- DApp: https://dapp.spartanprotocol.org/
- Documentation: https://docs.spartanprotocol.org/
- GitHub: https://github.com/spartan-protocol
Spartan Protocol is at its core, a community-driven and led project. In this vein, the more contributors the better. There is a great opportunity for community members to contribute by making LP reward analysis tools, etc.
Recently, community members have been graciously funnelling in to contribute to explainer articles, ideas and even $SPARTA donations to support the growth of the platform.
Engage with the community and contributors
Where to find out about all the latest updates or suggest improvements — get involved.